Punch Pubs in Portobello - come to a new opening !

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"
User avatar
bellybabe
Posts: 1662
Joined: 18 Apr 2003, 13:25
Contact:

Post by bellybabe » 08 Apr 2005, 11:28

Dadaist wrote:So the argument started when your ex phoned you up pretending to want your opinion, where really he was just a puppet of an evil international conspiracy, bent on world domination ?
Exactly.

Gosh, do you know him then?
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!

-Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz)

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 08 Apr 2005, 11:39

Bellybabe wrote:
Dadaist wrote:So the argument started when your ex phoned you up pretending to want your opinion, where really he was just a puppet of an evil international conspiracy, bent on world domination ?
Exactly.

Gosh, do you know him then?
yeah :

Image

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 08 Apr 2005, 12:37

Dadaist wrote:your ex ................ was just a puppet of an evil international conspiracy, bent on world domination ?
I just thought you meant that he worked for Microsoft.
www.porty.org.uk

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 08 Apr 2005, 21:25

new style Figgate sounds good, see the Old Pier is shut for major renovations, what they have done so far looks good.

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 09 Apr 2005, 09:19

Sandra wrote:new style Figgate sounds good.......
Doubt it will open in time for your Hen night Sandra :D
Have you had yours yet? You've only got a week to go haven't you?
www.porty.org.uk

maureen mclaughlin
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 13:46

Tides Inn

Post by maureen mclaughlin » 09 Apr 2005, 13:51

Sue, everyone in King's Road (and Burt island) knows that the Tides Inn reopened on 25th of March, as our life have been all the worse for it. On Fri club singer and Sat free mic, the noise level omitting from this pub is horrendous and unacceptable. It can be heard clearly at the top of the street. The long suffering residents who live above are very upset by the way this pub is disrespecting their rights by having extremely loud music blaring untill 12.30am. When you spent all the money doing it up, why did you not sound proof. This may have helped elevate the problem. It's a shame as we were hoping for a pub that would have been a good local, but fact it is the same old, same old.
Apart from a lick of paint there seams no other changes other than even worse noise pollution then before.
If you really do want to improve the pubs of Portobello, then sorting the noise out that would be a start.
On the evidence of this, I dont think there will be much change to any of the other pub in Portty. The punch line is!! its about maximum profit and nothing about the community, it would seam.

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 09 Apr 2005, 14:49

Marya wrote:Doubt it will open in time for your Hen night Sandra :D
Have you had yours yet? You've only got a week to go haven't you?
last Saturday, quite a sedate lunch with garters, angel wings, tiaras - no L plates or potties thank god! The rowdier amongst us lasted until 11pm.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 945
Joined: 05 May 2003, 12:02
Location: Portobello

Post by Gemini » 09 Apr 2005, 14:52

Quote Maureen McLauchlin>>The punch line is!! its about maximum profit and nothing about the community, it would seem <<

Sounds just like the City Council's way of things! :evil:

Lawrence Marshall lives near you - have you tried (in bold type due to the difficulty in ever being able to get a hold of him) in 10 years of our experience's.

Then there is the anti-social behaviour act! I have no idea of the remit for this in regards to public houses?

I believe there is another thread on this board 'Sizzlers' where a POL'r is having difficulty with odours permeating into their home from the restaurant.

I sympathise with your plight - we having similar problems with the companies temporarily utilising the SP site - hours of business are supposed to be 7.00am - 7.00pm - more like 6.00am - 9.00pm, the area is crammed with cars and lorries being repaired, which in turn increases the parking on Fishwives Causeway - decreasing the amount of parking on FC for the Staff and customers of Laidlaws - who in turn just park in Baileyfield Road.

I hope you can get some resolve on your issues, keep us informed.
Alernatively you could move to Joppa.




[/b]

maureen mclaughlin
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 13:46

Post by maureen mclaughlin » 09 Apr 2005, 21:39

Gemini, ta for the sympathy. To be fair to Lawrence Marshell he is doing everything to help. I e-mailed him mid week and he responded within 15 min. Everything we can do is being done but I think it will be a long process. I'd love to live in Joppa but I love my flat and sea view pluss I couldn't afford to move to the posh end (a sham for me! a!) pluss and more importantly I'am to lassy to move.
I'll just have to go out every week end untill noise problem solved, now that will be a real hard ship. :cry:

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 945
Joined: 05 May 2003, 12:02
Location: Portobello

Post by Gemini » 09 Apr 2005, 23:48

Lawrence Marshall he is doing everything to help. I e-mailed him mid week and he responded within 15 min <<end maureen's quote<<

I e-mailed him about 4 weeks ago, if I had not bumped into him at Kings Road last week - I don't suppose we would have seen him , unless of course, we bump into him again

:idea: Maybe if he reads this he will get the message?

User avatar
Lizzie
Posts: 350
Joined: 28 Oct 2003, 19:45
Location: Porty Beach

Post by Lizzie » 10 Apr 2005, 16:07

Paid a visit to the "new " Tides Inn last night, and wasn't impressed - I agree with what Maureen said previously, it is just the same old - with a lick of paint, the music was extremely loud, you couldn't have a conversation with the person next to you. We were there about 7.30pm so it must have been a long noisey night for those who live nearby. Don't think we will be going back there again :!:
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?

User avatar
Maria
Posts: 4795
Joined: 12 Nov 2003, 19:41
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by Maria » 10 Apr 2005, 18:17

Dada, don't you dare say, "Told you so." :wink:
www.porty.org.uk

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 10 Apr 2005, 19:02

Marya wrote:Dada, don't you dare say, "Told you so." :wink:
ok

User avatar
Pal of Porty
Posts: 2136
Joined: 30 Sep 2004, 13:41
Location: Old Folks Home
Contact:

Post by Pal of Porty » 10 Apr 2005, 20:48

Gemini wrote:......Alernatively you could move to Joppa.[/b]
But then again the Rockville often has a club singer on a Friday night and when the weather gets warmer, they leave the door open. This means the music can be heard for miles, including in the surrounding houses. :(
Justice delayed is justice denied.

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 20 Apr 2005, 18:29

Well, it seems to have got mighty quiet in here ever since we found out the truth about what having a Punch boozer in your street means.

At risk of being derided as being impolite / inappropriate / negative / discourteous / political / ***-taking / joke-making / issue-raising, is Sue going to respond to the negative criticism made by Kings Road residents?

Bearcub is right - we should forget the past and only judge Punch on their current form.

Brian McCrow is right - Punch are here to listen to us, and will obviously be responding to the very specific accusations made with regards to the Tides Inn.

User avatar
Poppy
Posts: 3483
Joined: 08 Feb 2004, 12:02

Post by Poppy » 20 Apr 2005, 20:41

We've known for a long time what it's like have a Punch boozer in our midst - the Pop Inn has been one for a long time! And I've seen various bloodied victims stagger out from there and no word of complaint here!!

In fact, although a lot of their pubs are 'boozers', they do have upmarket places as well, so it would be nice if we got one of them here. :wink:

maureen mclaughlin
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 13:46

Post by maureen mclaughlin » 20 Apr 2005, 23:47

Dadaist, I was thinking the same. It would be respectful and community spirited if she could advise if any thing is being done to address these issues. Not holding my breath though. Maureen :?:

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Apr 2005, 10:47

I hope Sue does respond but I would go cautious on blaming Punch for all of the apparent ills. The Tenant/Landlord has most of the responsibility for the day to day running of the pub and I'd be surprised if there is not clear operating and service standards in his/her contract. Ultimately Punch will have to Police their Franchise but there must be incidences where the problem is a rogue Franchisee. Either way, its not much consolation for Maureen et al that live in King's Road.

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 21 Apr 2005, 12:10

Porty wrote:I hope Sue does respond but I would go cautious on blaming Punch for all of the apparent ills. The Tenant/Landlord has most of the responsibility for the day to day running of the pub and I'd be surprised if there is not clear operating and service standards in his/her contract. Ultimately Punch will have to Police their Franchise but there must be incidences where the problem is a rogue Franchisee. Either way, its not much consolation for Maureen et al that live in King's Road.
So, if it's a nicey nicey pub with paninis, we all thank Sue, but when it's late night Karaoke and blood-spattered hammers, it's not her fault? She mentioned spending money on the place - but someone who went in said it was just a lick of paint. She mentioned it being a better "localpub" and instead we got the birdie song and fisticuffs. If we are to follow the thinking of Brian McCrow and bearcub, we should be judging them only on this performance but awaiting their response ...

User avatar
mr magnolia
Posts: 972
Joined: 11 Jul 2004, 22:07
Location: close to the edge
Contact:

Post by mr magnolia » 21 Apr 2005, 15:47

Every Day Counts

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Apr 2005, 15:56

Dadaist wrote:So, if it's a nicey nicey pub with paninis, we all thank Sue...
I can't recall either you or I thanking Sue. Are you looking for a fight mate?

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Apr 2005, 16:03

Sue just sent me a picture of the reigning Tides Inn Karaoke champion:
Image

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 21 Apr 2005, 18:42

Sorry Porty. I just meant that if the general consensus was that if Sue delivered on the Paninis and Feedback thing she got a pat on the head, surely then if she delivered Karaoke and Hammers is the logical response not to send her back to her corporate kennels with her tail between her legs?

User avatar
Pal of Porty
Posts: 2136
Joined: 30 Sep 2004, 13:41
Location: Old Folks Home
Contact:

Post by Pal of Porty » 21 Apr 2005, 22:30

Dadaist wrote:Sorry Porty. I just meant that if the general consensus was that if Sue delivered on the Paninis and Feedback thing she got a pat on the head, surely then if she delivered Karaoke and Hammers is the logical response not to send her back to her corporate kennels with her tail between her legs?
My head is going to explode if Sue starts selling Paninis in the 'Tides Inn'. 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.

User avatar
Bob Jefferson
Posts: 6212
Joined: 11 Dec 2004, 21:16
Location: Planet Porty
Contact:

Post by Bob Jefferson » 22 Apr 2005, 09:23


User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 22 Apr 2005, 10:31

Quality!!! Especially the soundtrack. One for the Sundance festival I think.

Brian McCrow
Posts: 224
Joined: 16 Sep 2003, 12:11
Location: Portobello

Post by Brian McCrow » 22 Apr 2005, 14:24

Bob

Top quality movie!!

User avatar
bellybabe
Posts: 1662
Joined: 18 Apr 2003, 13:25
Contact:

Post by bellybabe » 22 Apr 2005, 14:54

Fab!!! :lol:
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!

-Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz)

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 22 Apr 2005, 17:19

Dadaist wrote:Sorry Porty.
No bother. I just thought if you did fancy a fight we could have had a few bevs first in the Tide, if no-one else came along to pagger, we could have had a go at each other. Just trying to tailor an evening to your needs, you understand.

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 23 Apr 2005, 10:04

A "Pagger". Tssk. I will settle for nothing less than Paninis at dawn.

Sir, I demand satisfaction!

maureen mclaughlin
Posts: 48
Joined: 14 Jun 2004, 13:46

Post by maureen mclaughlin » 23 Apr 2005, 18:18

Save you self for tomorrow! The Tides out is getting ready for the old firm match, so I would imagine there will be plenty action. Mind and carry your paninis so I can recognise you and cheer you on! If the Police come which is very unlikly, I’ll show you where to run to avoided them. I cant wait! Dont let me down now.

User avatar
DG
Posts: 778
Joined: 26 Mar 2004, 21:42
Location: Portobello
Contact:

Post by DG » 01 May 2005, 21:05

Sorry to see that Sue has not yet responded to your comments and concerns, Maureen. And sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble. I remember what that was like!

DG
Work like you don't need money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like no-one's watching.

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 07 May 2005, 20:58

Funny (as in peculiar, not "ha ha") that this thread used to be very loud with all the haters chirruping about me daring to question Sue. Now that we have had karaoke, hammers and now a fractured skull, you would expect Sue, Brian, wangi et al to at least harrumph or whinny some sort of feeble excuse.

To me, their silence speaks louder volumes.

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 07 May 2005, 23:02

It's certainly been a long time since Sue made any contributions.
I was keeping an open mind about it all until recent events.

User avatar
Gedge
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Sep 2003, 12:50

Post by Gedge » 10 May 2005, 08:57

Went to "Utopia" last night for the first time. If that's Utopia give me imperfection any time. Awful place. I won't be going back.
Say something once, why say it again?
When I have nothing to say my lips are sealed

Post Reply