Soup

General discussion - "gossip and tittle tattle"
foxy
Posts: 2055
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 09:04
Location: wherever I lay my hat

Soup

Post by foxy » 21 Mar 2007, 12:39

In reverence of Soupy's 1000th, I thought we should discuss soup.

Soup is one of my favourite things and I eat (drink?) it almost every day. I miss it when I'm on holiday.

Other peope's home made soup always seems much more interesting. I tend to stick to traditional, ham and lentil, minestrone or chicken/vegetable and the occasional cream of mushroom

What's your favourite and would you like to share your recipe?

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 21 Mar 2007, 12:42

Soup is one of my top comfort foods. :D

When with hangover I love Heinz Cream of Tomato

My mum's minestroni made with lashings of red wine hits the spot every time :D :D

I also love Bearcub's sweet potato, paprika and red pepper soup

Basically, I love any soup! Here's to you Soupy! :D :D :D

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 21 Mar 2007, 13:15

That one by BC sounds like the absolute business.

"Embo" on Leith Walk do amazing soups which are almost like curry sauces.

A friend makes sweetcorn chowder with chipotle chillies - beautiful.

So yeah, anything warming with a bit of a kick. Minestrone at a push.

Actually, any port in a a storm.

Buttered roll with. Dippies.

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Mar 2007, 14:01

Dadaist wrote:That one by BC sounds like the absolute business.
.
Can't be. I have a portion of my mums potato soup at work with me today. It is totally tasty. PoP will concur.

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2201
Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 11:02

Post by SoupDragon » 21 Mar 2007, 14:05

That soup of Bearcubs sounds marvellous.

It's mostly vegetarian lentil soup in our house, to try and get some protein into fussy veggy boy!
Tattie soup ever popular and a home made tomato goes down well.
Carrot and ginger for the cold days is very warming

Canny beat Heinz tomato for comfort food.

Used to get a lovely spicy minestrone in a caff in Warrender also he did wonderful cheese rolls- cheese , salad, mayo, herbs hmmm
Alas cafe gone now

User avatar
bellybabe
Posts: 1662
Joined: 18 Apr 2003, 13:25
Contact:

Post by bellybabe » 21 Mar 2007, 15:20

I associate Heinz soups with being ill. I think if I ate it when not ill I would soon begin to feel ill.

Eldest bellybaby loves my leek&tattie or veggie lentil (ours isn't about getting protein into fussy boys but getting vegetables into them at all, Soupy!) but OH likes my Thai spinach soup best - very healthy, hardly any fat at all and a lovely warming kick.
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!

-Lucy Van Pelt (in Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz)

User avatar
Pal of Porty
Posts: 2136
Joined: 30 Sep 2004, 13:41
Location: Old Folks Home
Contact:

Post by Pal of Porty » 21 Mar 2007, 15:23

Concurred.

Mum of Porty makes absolutely magic soup. 8)
Justice delayed is justice denied.

foxy
Posts: 2055
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 09:04
Location: wherever I lay my hat

Post by foxy » 21 Mar 2007, 15:54

Sandra wrote: When with hangover I love Heinz Cream of Tomato
...totally agree especially with lovely buttered toast...makes note, must get some in for Saturday :happy2:
Sandra wrote:I also love Bearcub's sweet potato, paprika and red pepper soup
...can the new mod share his recipe please, if he's not too busy to be a domestic god anymore O:)

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Mar 2007, 15:57

Image

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 21 Mar 2007, 16:14

Mmmmm, I love soup too and am always looking for new recipes, have to agree Bearcubs sounds delish, he will definitely have to share his recipe.
I had tomato and basil for lunch today but not home made, so SoupD would appreciate your recipe for home made tomato as the last time I tried it, it was a bit of a disaster. One of my own favourites is chicken noodle with vegetables.
Sorry, but I hate potato soup, I doubt even Porty's mums would convert me.
Last edited by teddygirl on 21 Mar 2007, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

rapunzell
Posts: 1173
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 12:58
Location: by the prom
Contact:

Post by rapunzell » 21 Mar 2007, 16:30

Soup! Wonderful stuff. I like to make it thick enough to stand a spoon up in it, but if pushed will blitz it for more refined guests :D Sweet potato soup is my favourite for a cold night by a beach bonfire..

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 21 Mar 2007, 16:56

SoupDragon wrote:That soup of Bearcubs sounds marvellous.
he might even give you the recipe :D

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 21 Mar 2007, 17:01

Porty wrote:Image
:lol:

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 21 Mar 2007, 18:17

Who has tried the Fresh Ideas range from Baxters? I like the Tomato, Spicy Chorizo and the Dahl. Mushroom Risotto is disappointing.

And.....what is the best take-away soup available in Porty?

foxy
Posts: 2055
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 09:04
Location: wherever I lay my hat

Post by foxy » 21 Mar 2007, 19:15

rapunzell wrote:Soup! Wonderful stuff. I like to make it thick enough to stand a spoon up in it, but if pushed will blitz it for more refined guests :D Sweet potato soup is my favourite for a cold night by a beach bonfire..
Foxy tip..... depends on the type obviously, but once my soup is cooked, I usually blitz approx half and so create a nice thick base but still have some lovely veggie chunks.
These moulinez blitzy things that you actually put straight into the pot are brilliant for lazy cooks like me and saves any decanting mess and dishes :idea:

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 21 Mar 2007, 19:44

I do the same as you Foxy but sometimes for a different texture I use a potato masher and mash down about half of the veggies but leave some chunky bits for the boys :D

User avatar
arachnid
Posts: 1291
Joined: 10 Jul 2005, 22:33
Location: Linlithgow

Post by arachnid » 21 Mar 2007, 19:47

Mr. Arachnid makes great lentil soup! Really thick and lovely with a buttered roll!! There's nothing like a hot plate ( or mug) of soup in these cold days!! Yum!!! :lol:
Why be scared????

User avatar
magbagpuss
Posts: 270
Joined: 08 Mar 2004, 21:34
Location: Porty High Street / Heaven !

Post by magbagpuss » 21 Mar 2007, 20:14

they all sound fab , our favs , thai hot and sour , triple yum , spicy parsnip,3 bean n velvet chicken and corn :P
whatever, am i bovvered

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2201
Joined: 03 Oct 2006, 11:02

Post by SoupDragon » 21 Mar 2007, 20:17

Used to be fights over chunky vs smooth soup here. Got a wee hand blender so that saves a lot of arguments.

When I was a youngster we had a Mouli (?) a big sieve that you poured the soup into then turned the handle until it went through bit by bit.

I'll pay attention and write down the tomato soup recipe next time I make it, but for now it goes like this , (approx),
put about a dessert spoon of mixed herbs in a cup, add boiling water, leave to infuse.
Shred 3 carrots, half a turnip, 2 onions, put in pot and soften in some olive oil ( or marg or butter) add a can of tomatoes, 2 cans tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste. Add the herb infusion, add a handful of rice ( or there abouts) and top up the water. Cook
My MIL used to make this and I think she used steak mince some where in the recipie

User avatar
bearcub
Posts: 1057
Joined: 19 Mar 2004, 22:51
Location: Marlborough Street

Post by bearcub » 21 Mar 2007, 21:20

Love soup, fave at the moment is probably Carrot & Coriander, but still can't beat a 'stand-your-spoon-up-in' Broth - just like Mammy used to make. :D

Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato soup is probably my 2nd fave....so by popular demand, here's the recipe:

Splash olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2-3 largish sweet pots, peeled and cubed
750ml veg stock or water
sprig thyme
2 red peppers (I find those pointy Romano peppers the best, and easiest to use, for this)
1/2 lemon juice
pinch cayenne pepper to taste (how big/small a pinch depends on how spicy you like it :twisted: )
salt & pepper

Fry the onion & garlic gently in the oil until soft, add the sweet pots and stir around. Cover and leave on low heat for 5-10 mins (don't worry, it shouldn't stick even though there's no water in it yet). Add stock to cover, and thyme, and bring to boil, leave for about 15-20 mins until potatoes are soft.

Meanwhile, as they say............grill the peppers on all sides until black and blistered. Then put them immediately in a plastic bag and tie shut (makes them easy to peel). In about 5-10 mins they should be cool, so take them out and peel the skin off and de-seed.

Add the pepper to the soup, take the thyme out, and......blitz away. Once smooth, add the lemon juice and cayenne, salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!! You might need to add more stock/water depending on how thick/runny you like your soup - my stock measurements above are a bit of a guess. :oops:

You're meant to 'garnish' with sour cream, but I've never bothered yet. So let me know if you do and if it's any good!

:D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Sandra
Posts: 3376
Joined: 17 Nov 2003, 16:50
Location: Portobello

Post by Sandra » 21 Mar 2007, 23:33

SoupDragon wrote:When I was a youngster we had a Mouli (?) a big sieve that you poured the soup into then turned the handle until it went through bit by bit.
yip, great contraption :D

User avatar
Poppy
Posts: 3483
Joined: 08 Feb 2004, 12:02

Post by Poppy » 21 Mar 2007, 23:48

Sandra wrote:
SoupDragon wrote:When I was a youngster we had a Mouli (?) a big sieve that you poured the soup into then turned the handle until it went through bit by bit.
yip, great contraption :D
But thank goodness they have now invented electricity and taken the strain out of turning handles!! :P :P

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 22 Mar 2007, 00:31

Right, this is building up tp a TP soup invitational event. The idea is we get 2 or 3 guest soup makers, BC is first up, we get together, they do their soup and then we get wazzed. I could be the first host.........

rapunzell
Posts: 1173
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 12:58
Location: by the prom
Contact:

Post by rapunzell » 22 Mar 2007, 00:36

Porty wrote:Right, this is building up tp a TP soup invitational event. The idea is we get 2 or 3 guest soup makers, BC is first up, we get together, they do their soup and then we get wazzed. I could be the first host.........
Mmmm. We'd need some homemade bread to go with it, to soak up all that liquid :D

User avatar
Scoop
Posts: 340
Joined: 02 Dec 2004, 23:16

Post by Scoop » 22 Mar 2007, 12:04

bearcub wrote:Love soup, fave at the moment is probably Carrot & Coriander, but still can't beat a 'stand-your-spoon-up-in' Broth - just like Mammy used to make. :D

Roasted Red Pepper and Sweet Potato soup is probably my 2nd fave....so by popular demand, here's the recipe:

Splash olive oil
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2-3 largish sweet pots, peeled and cubed
750ml veg stock or water
sprig thyme
2 red peppers (I find those pointy Romano peppers the best, and easiest to use, for this)
1/2 lemon juice
pinch cayenne pepper to taste (how big/small a pinch depends on how spicy you like it :twisted: )
salt & pepper

Fry the onion & garlic gently in the oil until soft, add the sweet pots and stir around. Cover and leave on low heat for 5-10 mins (don't worry, it shouldn't stick even though there's no water in it yet). Add stock to cover, and thyme, and bring to boil, leave for about 15-20 mins until potatoes are soft.

Meanwhile, as they say............grill the peppers on all sides until black and blistered. Then put them immediately in a plastic bag and tie shut (makes them easy to peel). In about 5-10 mins they should be cool, so take them out and peel the skin off and de-seed.

Add the pepper to the soup, take the thyme out, and......blitz away. Once smooth, add the lemon juice and cayenne, salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!! You might need to add more stock/water depending on how thick/runny you like your soup - my stock measurements above are a bit of a guess. :oops:

You're meant to 'garnish' with sour cream, but I've never bothered yet. So let me know if you do and if it's any good!

:D :D :D :D :D

Bearcub, can you be my husband? Or if you think Sandra would object to that, can Mr Scoop sit next to you tomrrow, see if some of your cookingness rubs off on him. :)

User avatar
Epykat
Posts: 3915
Joined: 04 Dec 2003, 22:35
Location: Portobello, Edinburgh
Contact:

Post by Epykat » 22 Mar 2007, 13:41

Scoop wrote:[Bearcub, can you be my husband?
Don't do it BC :shock: . It would be preferable and less painful just to drown yourself in the soup.

I love soup too. My Mum used to make brilliant broth - a skill I have never mastered, but I do make quite good chicken and rice and lentil. Mr E is getting into making soup in a big way now that he grows his own veg - and I must say, it's the only thing he doesn't try to microwave :lol:
Enough of your nonsense - get back to the Play Pen!

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 22 Mar 2007, 14:44

I've been thinking about how many of us say that our Mum or Dad made brilliant soup, in my case it was my dad when he was alive, his broth was yummy and try as I might I just can't ever get it the same. :?
Do you think it is anything to do with the old fashioned pots that they used ?..........does that make the soup taste better ? or do we just underestimate our own culinary skills. Maybe one day my offspring will say......."my mum made brilliant soup" but somehow I doubt it.

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 22 Mar 2007, 15:24

I think it may be that they boil the living daylights out of everything.

User avatar
Epykat
Posts: 3915
Joined: 04 Dec 2003, 22:35
Location: Portobello, Edinburgh
Contact:

Post by Epykat » 22 Mar 2007, 15:25

I think it's more to do with time. My Mum used to start making the tea at 9am :shock: . The soup had all day to simmer away, whereas I try and fit in making a pot of soup in a 20 minute slot I've got between getting in from work and watching "Put your money where your house is". :lol: :lol:
Enough of your nonsense - get back to the Play Pen!

foxy
Posts: 2055
Joined: 05 Nov 2004, 09:04
Location: wherever I lay my hat

Post by foxy » 22 Mar 2007, 15:32

Epykat wrote:I think it's more to do with time. My Mum used to start making the tea at 9am :shock: . The soup had all day to simmer away, whereas I try and fit in making a pot of soup in a 20 minute slot I've got between getting in from work and watching "Put your money where your house is". :lol: :lol:
That could true, because I always think soup tastes better on the second day

I had one brilliant "homecooking" granny on my mum's side, but my Irish granny on my dad's side was ahead of her time...she was a rubbish cook... :shock:

She used to make soup with "Swell" (does anyone remember it was packets of dried veg) and a tin of tomato puree...totally crap :lol:

She also thought "Smash" was wonderful

Her best home cooked meal was wholemeal soda bread with lemon curd :roll:

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 22 Mar 2007, 15:40

You could both be right, my dad used to make the dinner the night before so that he had all evening to cook it. Things like cauliflower used to boil for about an hour as did the cabbage. :shock:
I remember many years ago when I showed my dad how to make spag bol he made it for us the next time we visited, true to form he had made the bolognese the night before but he had also cooked the spaghetti too :shock:

User avatar
teddygirl
Posts: 1507
Joined: 21 Oct 2004, 15:45
Location: close to the prom

Post by teddygirl » 22 Mar 2007, 15:45

Funnily enough Foxy, my dad made his broth with his own home grown veggies but the secret ingredient was a wee droppy of Swell, I don't know why but he swore it made a difference. I don't think you can buy it any more but you can still get packets of dried veg and I've even tried putting it in my broth to see if it works but I still can't get it right. :?
I think my problem is in my quantities, don't get the right balance.

User avatar
Dadaist
Posts: 6159
Joined: 05 Jul 2004, 19:42
Location: on the fringes of Portobello

Post by Dadaist » 22 Mar 2007, 16:09

Porty wrote:Right, this is building up tp a TP soup invitational event. The idea is we get 2 or 3 guest soup makers, BC is first up, we get together, they do their soup and then we get wazzed. I could be the first host.........
The 2007 TP soup invitational. There should be a small trophy awarded.

My mum always used to make turkey soup in the pressure cooker after Xmas. Once we were done with the turkey sandwiches (which was the day after cold turkey & chips - which came directly after the 2nd try at Xmas dinner) sure enough - there it was. Bootiful.

User avatar
Porty
Posts: 8514
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 14:30
Location: Organic Market

Post by Porty » 22 Mar 2007, 16:24

I think we make it an autumnal event. Paper cups ala starbucks to mninmise the washing up. Unless we get one of the birds to do it?

User avatar
Nelson Hatstand
Posts: 359
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 11:14
Location: Marlborough Street

Post by Nelson Hatstand » 22 Mar 2007, 16:32

This is my favourite soup. I had it in a restaurant once, as a starter. I have stolen the idea many times since, and volunteer to make it at any soup party:

bloody mary soup
Recipe:
make a bloody mary.
pour into bowl.
serve in bowl with spoon.
eat.
then have another one.

yum.

Post Reply